The Latifs Family Celebrates Over 54 Years in Birmingham Although it had its beginnings in a suitcase, Birmingham's Latifs shopping Mecca-celebrating over 54 Years of service-is now more than a centre of attractive, bargain, quality merchandise for householders. Alongside the range of cut price fabrics, toiletries, clothing, electronics, kitchenware and fancy goods, there is an Aladdin's cave of brand name toys.
Every year recording more real growths in its annual multi-million pounds of sales, the business is one which Mohammed Latif hardly dreamed of when they arrived alone from Pakistan in 1956. But Mohammed, who had left his family behind in Rawalpindi, set to it and within a week, with a command of basic English, sold clothing door to door from a suitcase. A draper's shop followed in Bishopgate Street and by 1964, in Nechells Park Road, the first warehouse to supply shops.
As the business grew, Mr Latif was joined, one at time, by several sons, the current head of the 140 staff firm, Ishtiaq, arrived in 1967. One of his most important policy changes came in1984 when Latifs become a retail warehouse, open to the public at large, while still retaining a valuable core of warehouse trade because of its attractive pricing.
"Ish", as 56 years old entrepreneur is known in the trade, and his associate Mr Massie Shah, now preside over 100, 000 sq ft of selling space in New Canal Street, Digbeth. Now we have four additional stores in Coventry, Walsall, Bilston and store at Stoke - on - Trent.